Bulverde is a beautiful
city of picturesque rolling hills and valleys with clusters of
majestic live oak trees.
It is just a few miles from Canyon Lake and the Guadalupe State
Park. San Antonio’s
famous Alamo, the River Walk, Sea World of Texas, Fiesta Texas, and
numerous restaurants and entertainment venues are all close by.
Given its proximity to world class attractions and its
exclusive, rural quality of life, Bulverde is growing rapidly and
requires comprehensive planning to protect the amenities and the
quality of life that residents enjoy and has attracted people to the
“Front Porch” of the Texas
The man whose name may be the origin of Bulverde,
was Luciano Bulverda who owned 320 acres in the late 1830s
in present day Bulverde’s Cibolo Creek Valley.
Located on the scenic
Cibolo Creek in Comal County, 22 miles north of downtown San Antonio
and 19 miles west of New Braunfels, Bulverde is the
“Front Porch” of the
beautiful Texas Hill Country. It
is also one of the newest cities in Texas having been incorporated
The city is at the
crossroads location of U.S. Highway 281, State Highway 46, and FM
1863, and is thus easily accessible to San Antonio and surrounding
cities; including Johnson City and Austin to the north; Boerne,
Comfort, and Kerrville to the west; as well as New Braunfels and
Garden Ridge to the east.
approximately 1,096 feet above mean sea level and encompasses 9.6
square miles of land in the Edwards Plateau.
The area enjoys mild weather conditions throughout the year
with an average high/low temperature in July of 92/73°F and in
January of 68/41°F.
The growing season is
265 days and the average number of days of sunshine per year is 300.
Annual precipitation in Bulverde feeds the Edwards aquifer
with an average or 30 to 33 inches of rain per year.
There are two soil types in the area: 1) shallow, undulating
steep soils over limestone; and 2) in the lower elevations, level to
gently sloping soils over loamy clay and gravel sediments.
deer, wild turkey, armadillo, possum, raccoon, and quail are
abundant in the area.
According to the census
of 2000, there were 3,761 people, 1,292 households, and 1,131
families residing in the city. The
population density was 495.7 people per square mile (191.3/km2).
There were 1,349 housing units at an average density of 177.8/sq mi
The racial makeup of
the city was 95.32% White, 0.32% African American, 0.32% Native
American, 0.51% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 1.81% from other
races, and 1.70% from two or more races.
Hispanic or Latino made up
10.95% of the population.
There were 1,292
households out of which 41.6% had children under the age of 18
living with them, 79.6% were married couples living together, 5.7%
had a female head of household, and 12.4% were non-families.
Of all households 10.1%
were comprised of individuals and 3.6% had someone living alone who
was 65 years of age or older. The
average household size was 2.91 persons and the average family size
was 3.12 persons.
was fairly Texas-typical with 28.3% under the age of 18, 5.2% from
18 to 24, 27.7% from 25 to 44, 29.2% from 45 to 64, and 9.6% who
were 65 years of age or older. The
median age was 40 years. For
every 100 females there were 101.3 males.
For every 100 females age 18
and over, there were 96.4 males.
income in 2000 for a household in Bulverde was $67,055, and the
median income for a family was $68,019.
Males had a median income of
$49,245 versus $30,717 for females. The
per capita income for the city was $26,887.
About 1.5% of families and
2.3% of the population existed below the poverty line.
City of Bulverde
Bulverde’s city hall is located near The Village, just north of the
Comal County Fire Station on Cougar Bend.
The address and other information are:
City of Bulverde
P.O. Box 335
City Hall at 30360 Cougar Bend
Bulverde, TX 78163
Phones - (830) 438-3612 or (830) 980-8832
Fax - (830) 438-4339
A zoom capable road map from MapQuest
City Limits and its ETJ
This file of
City Limits and Extraterritorial Jurisdiction
contains a map of the city limits of the City of Bulverde and its
extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ)
Zoning Map depicts the various zoning districts of the City of Bulverde.
It is a digital
representation of the official zoning map and its subsequent
Bulverde Police Department is located at Bulverde City Hall, Phone - (830)
438-3612 or (830) 980-8832, Emergency 911, Non Emergency Dispatch
Bulverde Area Volunteer Fire Department (BAVFD) The BAVFD provides the
Emergency Service District #5 (ESD #5) with Firefighters who not
only respond to fires, but also vehicle wrecks, hazardous
conditions, and water rescues; they are also first responders for
Additionally, the department provides public assistance and public
Contact information can be found at:
Emergency Medical Services (EMS) EMS’ ambulance crews serve as
the front-line of our local emergency health care system and play a
critical role in the provision of emergency care and treatment of a
patient's medical condition or traumatic injuries.
EMS also provides transportation to health care facilities
and ground ambulance services. They
are committed to promoting the safety and well being of citizens.
Bulverde-Spring Branch EMS experiences approximately 1600 emergency
responses per year and operates 4 advanced life support (ALS)
response vehicles. For
further information go to
Monday through Friday. (830) 438-3612 between 8:00am and 5:00pm.
After hours and weekends call (210) 414-5620.
Bulverde Municipal Court: For questions email
firstname.lastname@example.org or call City Hall. Fines can also be paid at
City Hall Monday - Friday, 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.
Public & Information Services
The Bulverde/Spring Branch Library serves the population of western
Comal County. The
library provides the following services for our community. ore to
The library's website and
information can be found at
Bulverde Area Humane Society The Bulverde Area Humane
Society is a non-profit organization that provides a caring and
secure environment for homeless and surrendered dogs and cats. Their
purpose as a no-kill shelter is to assist in the pet life cycle
through education, spay/neuter assistance, and promoting pet-forever
families. Bulverde Area
Humane Society is powered by volunteers and tax-deductible
society's website can be found at
The Bulverde Senior Center
The Bulverde Senior Center at
serves the needs of the senior citizens in this rural area and
help enrich their quality of life, provide
educational programs to fit senior needs
bring health and exercise programs to them
provide opportunities for socialization and community
service, and help seniors remain active and self-sufficient
Bulverde Food Pantry: The Bulverde Food Pantry is an
ecumenical community-based service organization helping people in
crisis; further information can be obtained at
The Bulverde Bul-a-ton was published in the mid-1980s.
The publisher was Betty Baker
and her offices were located due East of the Justice of the Peace's
office for Pct. 3 Comal County.
Current local newspapers
The Bulverde News:
The Bulverde Community News was founded in 1994 by Bob Welch
(Publisher) and Julia Welch (Managing Editor).
It exerted dominance in local news coverage and became
the official paper of record for the newly formed City of
Bulverde. Mr. and Mrs.
Welch sold the Bulverde Community News to Prime Time Newspapers
(a subsidiary of Clear Channel Communication) in September 1998.
It is now titled
The Bulverde News.
The Hill Country Times: The Hill
Country Times is a weekly online publication and is available
only on the world-wide web at
There is no printed
version offered at this time. The
new issue is published each Wednesday.
The Hilltop Reporter:
The Hilltop Reporter
began covering news in Bulverde and western Comal County in
March 2009. Its offices
are located in nearby Canyon Lake.
Clubs & Oganizations
History: Past & Present
The 2000-year history
of the Bulverde area begins with archeological evidence that Paleo Indians
lived well off the land along the Cibolo Creek where there was
plentiful wild game and water. In
the mid-1700’s Comanches took control of the region from the Lipan
Apaches and Tonkawas, bringing with them a rich vocabulary for
describing geographic features such as elevation, bodies of water,
In 1785 Spanish
emissaries Pedro Vidal and Francisco Xavier Chaves noted that the
Comanches understood how to use and move about the land “to avoid
detection from their enemies.”
Spaniards gave way to Tejanos.
Texas and Tejas
The Spanish words
(female) describe the citizens of the former province of Tejas, New
Spain, or the Texas section of the State of
Coahuila y Tejas
in the Republic of Mexico. These
names were changed to “Texian” by Mirabeau Lamar, the first
president of the Republic of Texas.
Early Tejano Settlers
were the first families to live in the Bulverde
area, as documented in the
Residents of Texas 1782 – 1806
stored in the Alamo Archives.
was Guadalupe Herrera, a widow and prosperous landowner.
Her accomplishments were remarkable for a woman in that era.
A school in Bulverde was
named after her, and some of the foundation stones of the school are
plainly visible off Bulverde Road near the Cave property.
An original Tejanos was
Juan Manuel Rivas who was granted a Bexar First Class Headright and
prospered here as a farmer. Another
was Agapito Gaytan who was listed in the Muster Rolls of the Texas
Revolution and granted 640 acres since he was a single man.
The third Tejano, and
the man whose name may be the origin of Bulverde, was Luciano
Bulverda who owned 320 acres in the Cibolo Valley.
By 1845 all four parcels had
been purchased by William H. Steele and Ludovic Colquhound—most
likely for speculative purposes.
Over the past two thousand years many roads paralleled the alignment
of the Cibolo Creek.
Bulverde’s centralized, pivotal location began with the founding of
Fredericksburg in 1846.
It necessitated a roadbed to connect it with New Braunfels to the
east which was founded in 1843. The road took a southerly route and
bypassed the more terrain-difficult paths to the North and went
through what is now downtown Bulverde.
The area is today popularly called
The Village which is
located on Bulverde Road just West of 281 (1863/Bulverde exit off
The first settlements
that are now the City of Bulverde began in 1850 as a stopping point
for travelers; one was called the Pieper Settlement. The present day
name was taken from the local post office which was founded in 1880
and named for Luciano Bulverdo, an early land owner.
The area was originally
home to many American Indian tribes, including the Lipan, Tonkawa,
Karankawa and Waco tribes. Arrow heads, including one known as the
Bulverde Point can still be found in the hills surrounding the area.
Popular today for the
local spirit born from those early pioneer beginnings and quaint,
historical sites, the area has continued to attract more and more
people and businesses looking to escape the compact, hustle-bustle
of the city. Most residents prefer to shop and find entertainment in
their community surrounded by the quiet gentleness that only the
Bulverde/Spring Branch area can offer.
Today FM 1863 traces
one of the more popular routes used by migrants traveling from New
Braunfels to Boerne and Fredericksburg.
Seventeen miles west of New Braunfels, the road traversed the
upper reaches of Cibolo Creek where the valley widened.
In the years following the annexation of Texas into the United
States the area was settled by German immigrants with names of
Pieper, Schulmier, Voges, Rompel, Vogel, Koch and Wehe. The present
day Bulverde was originally called Pieper’s Settlement after one of
these early settlers, Anton Pieper, until it was renamed Bulverde in
1879. Anton Pieper was one of the founders of New Braunfels, TX as
part of the German Nobility Society's Texas colonization project.
Anton is believed to have been one of the "troop of 20" put together
by Prince Solms to protect the new colonists.
Ben Smithson was the first settler in what is now called Smithson
Valley, and was soon joined by families named Busch, Kuehn, Groencke,
Gass, Spangenberg, Loeffler, Seegers, Ohlrich, and Penshorn.
After 1885, quite a few parcels were subdivided and sold. Many more
German immigrants moved into the area: Grosser, Saur, Simon, Georg,
Doeppenschmidt, and Fink.
The first homes were
constructed of hewn post oak and cedar logs.
Later homes were built mostly of quarried stone, and of the
eight original homes built in this style five still remain: the
Pieper, Voges, Obst, Poss and Hitzfelder homes.
Ranching and Farming
There was widespread
sheep and goat ranching.
The primary crops were corn, oats, wheat and barley, but after the
1870s cotton became king.
Drought was a recurring problem, and the first record of well
drilling was in 1877.
Cattle rustling and horse thieving were common and called the
“custom of the county” in an 1878
Cattle were considered
communal property and no one was convicted prior to 1878.
To combat rustling, groups of ranchers organized the Germania
Farmer Verein with the
brand. Around this time
Gustav Schmidt built the first cotton gin in the area, but by 1915
the boll weevil had destroyed the cotton business.
The next store was
built by Charles Groenke.
In 1887 Friedolin’s store was built.
First known as the Red and White, this is presently the
location of Specht’s Store and Restaurant.
The area’s first store,
a quarried stone structure, was established around 1873 by Henry
Voges, Jr. Voges’
original store was built on the site now occupied by Sweet's Store
It was purchased in 1956 by the Wood Family who continue to
own the location today. The original building, was destroyed by fire
in 1969. This site has been continuous operation for over 135 years.
The first post office
closed in 1919, but reopened in Charles L. Wood's store in 1959.
Today’s post office is located in The Village at
30131 Bulverde Ln, across
the street from Sweet’s Store.
Free-Stack Rock Walls
Between 1850 and 1890
many rock walls were built in the area.
They were laid dry and shimmed with chips.
In the late 1920s and through the 1930s many of these lovely
stone fences were sold by ranchers for extra income.
The building style that used fieldstone had become popular in
the area. Many miles of these
fences were also used as fill for widening of what became
Early Bulverde Schools
At one time six schools
served the area, but in 1944 all of them were torn town for
construction of a consolidated school at the corner of
Bulverde-Spring Branch Road and Amman Road.
After the Great Depression many of the original farmers and
ranchers left the area, and after World War II San Antonians and
other urbanites started moving into the area.
In 1947 the Herrera,
Ufnau, Honey Creek, Mustang Hill, and Green Hill School Districts
were consolidated into the Bulverde School District and had a total
enrollment of 52.
Throughout the 1980s
and as of 2007, the children of Bulverde fed into Smithson Valley
High School. Smithson Valley High School has earned the reputation
of having excellent academic and athletic departments. The sports
teams from the high school regularly advance to compete at state
The City of Bulverde is
presently served by the
Comal Independent School District.
Local schools include:
Rahe Bulverde Elementary School:
Information to follow
Bill Brown Elementary School:
Information to follow
Bracken Christian School: Bracken Christian School is a
k through 12 school that sits on a majestic Bulverde hilltop.
The present day city
was formed from five separate incorporated cities requiring 22
elections beginning in 1996 to eventually become one united city.
In 1998, Bulverde North and Bulverde West requested
consolidation with Bulverde South.
In 1999, Bulverde East and in 2000 Bulverde Northwest
followed suit. On May
11, 1999, the Board of Alderman of Bulverde South changed the name
of the city to the City of Bulverde.
As evidenced by its
historical beginnings, the present day City of Bulverde developed
along the Cibolo and Honey Creeks in an area of exceptional beauty,
and was built up by people willing to work hard and raise families
under sometimes difficult conditions.
The beauty of the area continues to beckon those looking for
a more promising and better quality of life, something that is
especially important in today’s fast-paced world.
The growth of Bulverde
as a bedroom community has been a relatively recent development.
In December of 2003, the population of Bulverde was declared
to be over 5,000 persons, making it eligible to form a charter and
become a home-rule type city with a one mile ETJ.
When a Home Rule City Charter is ratified be city voters it
will give the city more powers, but also more responsibilities.
The future is
promising, but, with the rapid influx of new people, it is quite
challenging, too. Roads,
water, clean air, open space and many other issues need to be
addressed head-on. We
have an enviable and unique combination of assets that must be
protected, furthered, enhanced, and strengthened with sound planning
as we proceed into this century.
As a new city, we have a chance to make our dreams reality.
Augie Meyers - musician
and singer, former member of Sir Douglas Quintet, and Texas
Jason LaRue - MLB
Felix "Doc" Blanchard - Bulverde is where college
football legend, and 1945 Heisman Trophy winner, "Mr. Inside"
Felix "Doc" Blanchard lived the last 20 years of his life, with
his daughter Mary and her husband. He died of pneumonia on April
Cory Clark - Smithson
Valley Offensive Lineman drafted by the San Diego Chargers in